Note that over 25,000 chimney fires occurred throughout the US in one year alone, and this brought a lot of money in damages. Simple precautions can be taken to ensure that this does not happen to your home. Small chimney fires can spread to larger house fires in a matter of minutes if they are not noticed or taken care of. This is an extremely important issue, but one that is not carefully considered by all households with a chimney.
Have Your Chimney Thoroughly Cleaned
Chimneys need to always be thoroughly cleaned each and every year. Soot and debris builds up inside it, and this can be a danger since this can cause the chimney to catch fire. The fire can easily spread and move into the rest of the home. Having inspections and sweeps of the chimney can prevent these fires from happening. One affordable, and easily obtainable service can essential save your life and your home.
Keep these tips in mind to prevent fires from happening on the inside:
- Do not burn wet, unseasoned or oil, gas treated wood inside the fireplace
- Do not improperly use the fireplace for burning items not meant to be burnt inside it
- Always have your chimney swept enough throughout the year
- Check for blockages inside the chimney that can cause the chimney to catch fire
- Have the necessary repairs done on the chimney, when they are needed
- Always have an inspection done of the chimney
Prevention is the Best Course to Take
Of course, preventing the fire is the first and best course of action to take, sometimes it might not turn out that way. This is why it is also important to have a fire safety plan with your family, smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and to always have your chimney cleaned out throughout the year. Preventing this tragedy from happening in the first place can put you in a better position to feel great about living in your home.
Speak with us here at All Year Chimney Sweeps and Repairs, where we can make sure that your chimney is safe to use. We can come out clean, inspect, repair or replace what needs to be to ensure that you’re not going to have a chimney house fire.